When we had briefly read about the SCiO device we were quite curious about the device and what the project would be about. However the first briefing was not really exciting, namely creating a database. It was up to us to add things to the project to make it interesting. Eventually after a lot of research about the technique and the hardware of the device we conclude that the device wasn’t reliable. Since we weren’t allowed to open the device to look into the hardware, we had to come up with something else to improve the device. We focused on the factors which could be affected by human errors thereby helping to reduce it.
We noticed in our first experience with the SCiO device, that the app interface wasn’t efficient and user-friendly. We enjoyed the process of improving the interface, making it screen by screen and paying attention to the details which are important for the user-interaction. This resulted in a kind of semi-interactive app made in PowerPoint. We also made a couple of heads for the SCiO device, which were 3D printed. Although the brief of our project did not entail any prototyping, we had to tailor it in such a way that we were able to incorporate 3D printing into it.
We liked the fact that we could test a product that was new to everyone. Because nobody knew about SCiO we had to begin from scratch and figure it out all by ourselves. It was also fun to think of possible uses and improvements on the SCiO device.
One of the downsides was that very soon in the project, we discovered that the SCiO device was quite far from what it promised to be. This meant that a lot of the excitement for SCiO was gone and with that some of the motivation for the project, because we couldn’t think about possible uses anymore (what would have been the most fun part). We felt that this limited what we could potentially do with the device. We also did not have any apps to work with to test the device. It’s only about a month ago that an app called DietSensor ,specifically made for the SCiO, (which tells you the nutritional facts about whatever food item you scan) was released. It would’ve been nice to see how that worked and the results would’ve been more tangible and easier to measure.
What also didn’t help was the fact that we were not allowed to properly investigate the device. We would’ve liked to open the device and reverse engineer every part.
We think that it will be interesting to watch out for more updates from Consumer Physics and see how they develop the device further and the apps along with it.